A visit to my old office after 16 years

Last week, when I was in Muscat, I made it a point to visit the OTE (Oman trading establishment) office at Al Wadi Al Kabir, where I worked as a computer programmer and systems analyst 16 years back. When I entered, there was no greetings. The security guard got slightly suspecious and I explained him that I worked here 16 years before.

When I was working there, that was my world. My professional dreams were built around this place. My friends were here....and after 16 years, people dont recognize me here... and I am unable recognize others as well. I saw someone sitting at the spare parts section, with a slightly greying beard. Was it my old friend from Vellore, who used to give me company during my photography sessions and the beach visits!. Oh dear friend, where are you. Then I saw the place where me, Akhilesh, Suresh and my friend from Mumbai ( Oh dear, I even forgot your name.. I still remember that you came from Karvey consultants) used to sit and work, developing and implementing inventory management, financial accounting, sales management and workshop management systems. What happened to those systems built out of our hard work. Most probably they would have given way for some ERP solutions. Then I saw Ashok Belle's cabin. One of the best bosses I have ever had...or was it that I was so fresh when I was working there!. I saw the workshop where I used to test drive the cadillacs. Next to that I saw Cheema's office...now used by the security guards. Oh dear Cheema, where are you man?. Grapevine... Awadh Kishore is still working as the finance manager there. Next trip I will try to meet you Awadh. Will you recognize me?.


Will this be the fate of everyone returning to their old offices after a decade or more?. I think, to a large extent it will be the same. And today do not have any meaning after ten years. How futile it is to focus on the trivial stuff of today, than focusing on the major things in life!.


I am logging off now, to spend some time with my wife :-)

Comments

Popular Posts